Looking for things to do when it's raining in London? When the weather takes a turn for the worst plans may need to change quite suddenly. But not to worry, backpackers. There’s a million and one things to do indoors in fun-packed London. We’ve picked out the best places to head to on a rainy day, mainly nearby to our St Christopher’s London hostels, ranging from indoor mini golf, cheap-eats to quirky usual cafes....
Don’t forget your umbrella!
1) VISIT ROUNDHOUSE TO WATCH A LAST MINUTE SHOW IN CAMDEN
If you love music, then find shelter at the Roundhouse in Camden. This famous live music venue always has some cool gigs on where you can catch the latest up-and-coming British talent. See if there are any shows on when you're in the city.
2) ROAM AROUND THE OLD SPITALFIELDS MARKET
This famous market in Shoreditch (East London) is weather proof, shielded by a glass canopy so it kind of feels like you're outside (except you won't get rained on). Old Spitalfields Market is famous for its street food offering cuisines from all over the world as well as vintage fashion, accessories, vinyls and art. Definitely worth a visit.
3) TRY THE CITY'S BEST VEGAN FOOD
London is a paradise for vegans. From street food, market stalls, vegan cafes and restaurants that specialise in plant-based menus, explore the vegan options in London on a rainy day.
4) BODY WORLDS exhibition
The Body World exhibition is the perfect place to go if you want to escape the rain in Piccadilly Circus. The museum is home to a permanent exhibition of real human bodies and it's like nothing else if you've seen before. Entry for adults its £22.50.
5) PLAY CRAZY GOLF IN SWINGERS (RIGHT BELOW THE GHERKIN)
Eat pizza and drink cocktails while golfing under disco lights and amazing music! Can you think of anything more fun? Swinger's is one of our favourite places to go when the weather sucks.
6) SEE A MOVIE AT THE ELECTRIC CINEMA
Nothing beats watching a movie on a cold, rainy day. Get cosy in the Electric Cinema and watch one of the new film releases. There's a branch in Notting Hill and Shoreditch!
7) VISIT MUSEUMS AROUND LONDON SUCH AS THE SAATCHI GALLERY IN CHELSEA
There are so many museums in London that it's so hard to choose which one to visit. Whether you like art, British history, space or science, there's no better way to spend a rainy day that feeding your mind in a fascinating museum.
8) VISIT BOROUGH MARKET NEAR LONDON BRIDGE
Another fantastic market to visit in London. If you're around London Bridge, get away from the rain and head to Borough Market, the oldest food market in the city. Half of the market is indoors so it’s a perfect stop to keep you occupied until the rain stops. See how much food you can sample until your belly hurts!
9) GO TO THE BIGGEST PING PONG BAR IN TOWN BOUNCE
Fancy a game of ping pong? Bounce in Shoreditch is the perfect place to get a bit competitive and and sip some fine cocktails!
10) GET A LAST MINUTE TICKET TO SEE PERFORMANCE AT ONE OF THE THEATER'S IN LONDON’S WEST END
11) VISIT THE FAMOUS SHOPPING CENTRE WESTFIELD
There's a variety of things to do inside Westfield such as shopping, dining and watching a film at their massive cinema. There's a Westfield shopping centre in Shepherd's Bush and Stratford.
12) CEREAL KILLER CAFE IN CAMDEN IS A MUST
A major hipster joint in the city where you can go cereal crazy. Here, you'll find a HUGE selection of fun cereals and coloured milks. You'll feel like a kid again.
13) VISIT LADY DINAH'S CAT EMPORIUM A CUTE CAFE FILLED WITH CATS
For all you cat lovers. Sip some tea while petting a furry friend.
14) GET BUBBLEWRAP WAFFLES IN CHINA TOWN
For a taste of hot, freshly made egg waffles. The perfect pick me up on a foul day. If you're exploring Chinatown and the heavens decide to open, this is the perfect escape.
15) HAVE A PINT AT YE OLD MITRE A TRADITIONAL ENGLISH PUB
Want a dose of history? This charming 16th century pub survived the Great Fire of London. It has several traditional ales on tap.
16) INDULGE IN TUNA ROLLS IN ONE OF LONDON’S BEST AFFORDABLE SUSHI JOINTS
This one is Bento Ramen in Camden.
17) DON’T LIKE SUSHI? THEN TEST OUT THE BEST CITY’S BEST PANCAKES!
18) VISIT MADAME TUSSAUDS AND TAKE A SELFIE WITH YOUR FAVOURITE CELEBRITY WAXWORK
19) GET SOME CHILLS AND THRILLS AT THE LONDON BRIDGE EXPERIENCE
London's scariest attraction. Just a short walk away from St Christopher’s London Bridge, this is not one for the fainthearted, Set deep underground, learn about the history of London Bridge and then walk through a scare maze where you will face your darkest fears.
20) BETTER YET, HEAD TO THE ROCKING BELUSHI’S BAR BELOW THE HOSTEL
Make use of the daily drink deals, order 100 chicken wings for £35, scoff a badass burger, then get drunk and party. A great place to meet other people in the hostel. And to play beer pong.