Europe has definitely got more than its fair share of quirks, but when it comes to the law, there’s a good handful of rules that sound a lil absurd. Did you know that in some countries you could get a fine for hanging your clothes out to dry on a Sunday, or kissing your loved one goodbye on a train platform? Find out the most unusual laws around Europe so you don’t get caught out on your next trip…
Looking for the best affordable accommodation across Europe?
1. IT’S ILLEGAL TO NAME YOUR PIG NAPOLEON IN FRANCE
2. IN SWITZERLAND IT’S ILLEGAL TO FLUSH THE TOILET AFTER 10PM
Yup - if you live in an apartment, that's the deal!
3. IN THE UK IT’S AGAINST THE LAW TO HANDLE SALMON IN SUSPICIOUS CIRCUMSTANCES
According to the Salmon Act 1986 this is totally true. Although the wording 'suspicious circumstances' is a little vague...
4. IT’S ILLEGAL FOR MEN TO WEAR SKIRTS IN ITALY
5. HIGH HEELS ARE BANNED IN PARTS OF GREECE
Don't bring your heels to the Acropolis... Or any archaeological Greek site really.
6. KISSING ON TRAIN PLATFORMS IS BANNED IN FRANCE
They say it’s to avoid congestion…
7. SPITTING IN BARCELONA COULD LAND YOU WITH A FINE
Looking for a hostel in Barcelona? Check out
8. HANGING CLOTHES OUT IN SWITZERLAND ON A SUNDAY IS NOT ALLOWED
9. IT IS LEGAL TO BREAK OUT OF PRISON IN GERMANY
10. AN ASHTRAY IS CONSIDERED A LETHAL WEAPON IN PARIS
Yeah cos that's what criminals tend to carry around...
11. PEEING IN THE SEA IN PORTUGAL IS ILLEGAL
12. AND SO IS PEEING IN A CANAL IN THE NETHERLANDS
Unless you’re pregnant
13. IT’S ILLEGAL TO RUN OUT OF FUEL ON THE AUTOBAHN IN GERMANY
14. IN SWEDEN, IT’S ILLEGAL TO COMPLAIN DURING THE WINTER DARKNESS PERIOD THAT YOU WISH IT WERE SUNNY.
Looking for hostels across Europe?